Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I hope ours is just like her...

I took our 7-year old niece shopping today.  We had a long discussion about the baby.  It’s interesting (and awesome) to hear her take on everything.  It went a little something like this:
She doesn’t care if it’s a boy or a girl.  They are both fun in their own ways. (Like her and her brother.)
She does want to find out ASAP.  She can’t believe we have to wait another 9 weeks. (Seriously, the wait is killing her!!)
She will love the baby either way.  (Seriously, it doesn't matter to her at all.  Ok, she kind of wants it to be a girl.)
She is super excited to have a baby cousin that she will see all the time and hopefully someday babysit.
She promises to get her CPR certification before she babysits. (Her mom is making her)
She thinks it’s weird that I am going to be a mom.  I’ve always just been her aunt.
While we were having the whole weirdness of me being a mom conversation, she segwayed into the baby having two moms.  That lead to a whole discussion (and her cracking up) of the kid saying, “Mom, mom, mom, mom, mom,” to both of us.  After a pause she said, “Yeah that will be weird.” I saw this coming so I said, “What, the baby having two moms?” She looked at me like I had 4 heads and said, “No, you being a mom.”  I love this kid.  I love that she gets it.  Well, mostly.  She is hoping the baby looks like me (so, like her, too, basically.)  I didn’t explain how this all went down.  I just let her go with her idea of the baby having Lauren’s black hair and my big feet.   

4 comments:

  1. Syd is so great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome..Awesome...Awesome...she's so grown up. We have many precious moments and Sydisms for a very long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She bought me a lime too, cause that's what size the baby is this week. It was so sweet.

    ReplyDelete