Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Here we go

Generally, stories start at the beginning.  It's hard to pinpoint the exact beginning of this story.  We could start today, last week, 3 weeks ago, 5 months ago or 13 and a half years ago.  In a way, they are each a beginning of the story unfolding.  December 8, 1997, my wife and I started dating.  Five months ago we started seeing a reproductive endocrinologist to start figuring out how two girls manage to have a baby together.  Three weeks ago we had our first IUI (that's intra-uterine insemination for the fertility acronym illiterate.) A week ago we found out that we are pregnant.  Today is the day I start my baby blog.  I have a pregnant wife, in case I forgot to mention.  We are lesbians, in case you missed that.  If you did miss that or have a problem with it, just stop reading and close this window.  Seriously, I don't need any idiots giving me their 2 cents on raising kids.
So here we are.  5 weeks pregnant.  Oh for those who are scratching their heads on that math right now, let me clue you in to crazy pregnancy math.  How far along you are has nothing to do with the actual age of the baby, but since the beginning of your last period.  My mom hates it too, but it's just the way it is.  It's also way too early to be telling everyone.  Everything I have read says it is our choice when to tell people, but suggest we wait until after our first trimester.  Trimester?  That's 3 months. Ok, it's only 7 weeks from now.  After all, we are 5 weeks pregnant.  (yes, I say WE.  In general terms of the pregnancy, WE are pregnant with OUR baby.  When I get to things she is dealing with as a pregnant woman, I will most likely just refer to her since I'm not the one barfing every 2 hours. But I will get to that later.) If you are one of the lucky ones to know me well, you know that I have carried such lovely nicknames as mouth and jabber jaws.  I like to talk and I like to tell everyone everything.  I feel the need to run out and tell my nearest and dearest every little thing that is going on with this pregnancy.  However, it is still very early.  If something were to happen, I don't want to have to go tell all 500 insanely excited people, "whoops, never mind."  I don't know if I could say it out loud that many times.  It makes me cry to think about it.  And while I understand that no one will be quite as excited as my lovely wife and myself....and maybe my mom... this has been in the works for 13.5 years.  There are people who have been hounding us for years to start having kids.  There is a part of me that thinks I should just tell people.  If something were to happen, they would find out then anyway.  Again, if you know me, you know that I don't exactly hide my emotions well.  If you have any contact with me whatsoever, you will know something is horribly wrong.  Ok, but enough about that.  Everything will be great. The wife is currently suffering from morning sickness pretty horribly.  I hear that's a good sign.  We will probably start telling more people in a few weeks.  I want to at least get some of the major milestones out of the way.  And yes, some people know.  A very small group of people.  Seriously, if no one else knew, my head would have exploded by now.  But don't feel bad if you are reading this and realize you are on the "found out later" list.  I'm probably just trying to spare you from my craziness right now.  I am eating, sleeping, dreaming, reading, surfing, researching, blogging, but trying not to talk too much about Baby K.  I figured a blog was a good way to give updates and info, share stories and ideas and serve as a time capsule for us and the little one.  Holy crap, I'm gonna be a mom.  Sorry, that happens to me from time to time.    Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Is it horrible that I love that she's being crazy? Welcome to the dark side, Lolo! :P I love you both so very much and I can not wait to say I love you THREE (or 4? lol) so very much!!! I know I've said it a billion times now but Congratulations, Mamas!!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I kinda like the crazy, too. It's a sign of her raging hormones, which is a good thing this early in the game. We love you, too!!

    ReplyDelete